Tuesday, May 13, 2008

This Day has gone to the birds

So this was a crazy bird day. Our first "fowl" encounter was as we were driving home. There was a tom turkety strutting his stuff across the road near our home. There was a female turkey (definitely not as impressive) looking on. We see turkeys quite often, but rarely do we see them all puffed up like how you invision a Thanksgiving day bird. The kids and I decided we needed to get a picture so I drove a block to our house, got the camera, and drove back. The turkey had crossed the street and was now in our neighbors back yard. I was a little disappointed because I couldn't get as close to take a picture, but he was so big that the picture still looks good.

A few hours later, Logan burst through the door after school. He was holding out his hands with a little gray fluff ball, and very excitedly explained what had happened. He had just gotten off the bus and was walking home when he saw a bird fly into the side of our house (not even a window!) He said it had broken its wing so he scooped it up and wanted to know what to do with it. I knew there was a wild animal hospital in the next town over, but I wanted to observe the bird first. We found a shoe box for it and set it outside. I figured it would be safe in the box, but if it had the ability, it would fly away. Well it sat there for 45 minutes. I decided we needed to get some bird seed from the garage and go find some worms. The bird must have heard us getting ready to come outside through the sliding glass door because it perked right up and flew away. It must have been in shock from hitting the house and just needed some time to get its wits back together. If you know anything about birds, can you tell me what kind of bird it is. When it relaxed, its feathers weren't quite as poofy and its neck looked longer. I thought it might be some kind of a pigeon, but who knows? Do you?


0 comments: