I am part of a group of moms who take turns having "preschool" at our home once a week for two hours. We have a curriculum which includes working with letters (letter recognition and letter sound recognition, writing letters, etc.), counting, calendaring, weather, music, and of course good old fashioned play time. We try to have a variety of activities for the kids that teach these skills in a fun way. We do various crafts, science experiments, and cooking and baking activities.
We are also trying to do at least one field trip a month. This month the kids learned about A for aquarium so we took them to the New England Aquarium in Boston. The picture above was taken outside the aquarium in front of the seal tank. Inside there are penguins, sharks, starfish you can touch, jellyfish, an octopus, and thousands of other kinds of fish. The kids had a blast and wore the moms out!

2 comments:
I bet you were pretty worn out! Looks like fun though...what a cool group.
Hi, that is a great idea you are doing together as moms. I taught preschool before I went back to school, when Joe was just 3-4 and kip just started K. I had it in the "bunkbed room" downstairs. Your idea sounds so much better. It is good for the kids, but I think it probably is a nice social time too for moms. Especially to share ideas and share the work!!!
It is so great to go on field trips and see all those great things together. Do they have a pre- school story hour at your library? I am teaching a class with another lady for about 12 families every WEd. for six weeks. It is called " EVery child Ready to REad" We ate teaching about reading and books and all the fun things you can experience thru books. I did "Caps for Sale" last week and you can use syrofoam bowls for caps and let the kids walk around like the peddler saying "Caaaps! Caps for Sale! 50 cents a cap!!" The book is so cute and you teach them to copy or follow the leader game just like the monkeys in the story!! I'll bet the aquarium was fun to see!!!Hugs and kisses to all!!!
Post a Comment