Monday, October 6, 2008

One's trash is another's treasure

I think we'll be making this a weekly post as it is so exciting. Every week we go to the Hingham transfer station (the town dump). While we do get extremely excited about recycling our paper and plastic and dumping our nasty mountains of filthy trash, the real draw to the dump is the "swap shop". The "swap shop" is a section of the dump that is like a glorified yard sale. People bring their used goods that they no longer find of value and leave them for anyone to take. The rule is that if you want to take, you should also bring something to give. All items are free and can be returned at future visits to the swap shop if they don't work out. Anything not taken at the end of the day is crunched up and taken to the landfill. This past Saturday was our most successful trip yet. We arrived at just the right time and found an entire girls bedroom set, complete with full size poster bed, nightstand, dresser with hutch, and desk with hutch. We also found some other fun things. See below for the great pictures.

Desk with hutch


Dresser with hutch



Full size poster bed with end table

This little non motorized go kart is a real hit with the kids and works well on the long sloped driveway

This brand new outdoor light was still in it box and had never been used. It had a small crack in one of the panels that is barely noticeable

Toy Helicopters for the boys


A fishtank for all the frogs we catch

4 comments:

Valerie Chandler said...

Wow. What finds. I bet your kids LOVE this tradition!

Hannah Stevenson said...

Seriously...AWESOME!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, How great is that!! Emy how lucky you are, that bed room set is so beautiful, I'll bet you are really excited!!. I liked the race car too! Be careful going down your long driveway!! Wow the fish tank will be fun, but we also had a hamster in one of those when Dad was home on the farm. Remember all the tubes and running wheels we had. That was a fun pet too, but he met a similar end as did squeaky, of which I mentioned before. That swap shop really sounds fun and boy it is sure worth checking on. You really have found some treasures!!! Lucky, lucky You I love that GRIn for the pics Wyatt Where is Emy?? I haven't seen you in very many pics ? How is first grade, what are you reading?? Do you like JUnie B. Jones books? Miss you all, I love these pictures and stories, it's sort of like getting to go along on the trip, but my feet don't get tired !!! Love you

The Keister Family said...

That is better than a glorified yard sale. Those things look like new. I wish that I lived closer.