We finally did it...we finally broke down and got a pet...the kids have been asking for a pet for quite some time and we figured we start out with something small to ensure our family's readiness. Heather and I are allergic to animals with fur so that greatly reduced the types of pets we could have. The kids had been toggling back and forth between a snake, lizard, frog, or turtle.
All of those would have worked well except we didn't have any kind of cage for them and we weren't keen on spending a lot of money on a pet and then all of the "fixins" for a pet. We visited PetCo on Saturday afternoon and looked at many different kinds of pets..we really had no intention of buying one but putting it on the Santa list. The best pet we could come up with, given the prices, was a guinea pig. When I returned home, I had the brilliant idea to look on craigslist for guinea pigs. I found 4 or 5 ads which were mostly for guinea pig cages. I did find a few ads for people that were giving away their guinea pig for free, including the cage, food, etc as they had developed allergies and could no longer keep the pet. I quickly emailed a family about 75 minutes away from us and they emailed back a day later indicating that they wanted to give their guinea pig to a nice family with kids as their daughter was having a hard time giving up her "friend".

We met each other half way last night and they came with the guinea pig, a cage, a travel cage, food, a brush, and detailed instructions on how to be a good guinea pig pet owner. They were extremely nice (husband, wife, and little girl all came to say their final goodbyes). They were so excited to send the guinea pig home to a nice family. I know what you are thinking..guinea pigs have fur...yes they most definitely do and while it can agitate me if I hold her too close to my face, the sheer joy on the kids' face outweighs my discomfort.
Please enjoy the pictures. The kids are on cloud nine and love playing with her. Squeaky Fuzzy is about 21 months old...more pictures to come.

All of those would have worked well except we didn't have any kind of cage for them and we weren't keen on spending a lot of money on a pet and then all of the "fixins" for a pet. We visited PetCo on Saturday afternoon and looked at many different kinds of pets..we really had no intention of buying one but putting it on the Santa list. The best pet we could come up with, given the prices, was a guinea pig. When I returned home, I had the brilliant idea to look on craigslist for guinea pigs. I found 4 or 5 ads which were mostly for guinea pig cages. I did find a few ads for people that were giving away their guinea pig for free, including the cage, food, etc as they had developed allergies and could no longer keep the pet. I quickly emailed a family about 75 minutes away from us and they emailed back a day later indicating that they wanted to give their guinea pig to a nice family with kids as their daughter was having a hard time giving up her "friend".

We met each other half way last night and they came with the guinea pig, a cage, a travel cage, food, a brush, and detailed instructions on how to be a good guinea pig pet owner. They were extremely nice (husband, wife, and little girl all came to say their final goodbyes). They were so excited to send the guinea pig home to a nice family. I know what you are thinking..guinea pigs have fur...yes they most definitely do and while it can agitate me if I hold her too close to my face, the sheer joy on the kids' face outweighs my discomfort.
Please enjoy the pictures. The kids are on cloud nine and love playing with her. Squeaky Fuzzy is about 21 months old...more pictures to come.


7 comments:
Squeaky Fuzzy, eh? hahaha! Who named it?
Nice to see your family is still alive after your blogging hiatus.
Awe, welcome to the family Squeaky Fuzzy! It's so fun to see you guys again! Love the new look of the blog too.
Hi, I am so excited to see you again. It's a trick getting in to the computer, and last time it was the same so glad to see you all again. I hope to see some pictures of your India trip too.
WOW!! I am so excited for you guys. "Squeaky Fuzzy" looks really cute and I would love to hold him. I know you will have fun and enjoy! One note,Never take squeaky to bed with you. Curtis might remember a long ago sad story of our pet Gerbil who took a loooong nap with Kip. He just couldn't figure out how to get him to stay still and take a nap. Alas,end of story!! Enjoy your new friend and Grandma and Grandpa love you guys and you are in our prayers every day. Do you still have some frogs for Wyatt and Ashton to enjoy? I hope Emy enjoys all day school, and lunch too! We love you bunches! Oh, did you get rained on by the Hanna Storm? Hugs and Kisses Grandma Candy
I'm going to say this out loud: Squeaky Fuzzy needs to visit the manicurist!
Glad to see you're back! Your mom's comment about a trip to India has me really excited to see a long post about it with lots of pictures? (I live vicariously through the adventures of others, so don't let me down!)
Erin
So the hamster has you so busy that you haven't been able to post? :)
Glad you are back.
Post a Comment